Thursday, June 20, 2013

Fresh Air

In my attempt to nourish the creative side of my soul, I decided that it would be a good idea to plant myself in some new(ish) surroundings while I worked. This idea proved to be quite successful as I actually got quite a bit of work done and (bonus!) got to enjoy a little slice of the beauty of Michigan summers. 

Anyone who lives in Michigan can tell you that in one day it can literally be sunny and warm, rainy, and even snowy. That is just the way it is. Call it global warming, call it being surrounded by lakes, call it being shaped like a mitten: it is what it is. So when there is even a splash of sunshine, we Michiganders tend to run outside, shorts on and sunscreen in hand, ready to enjoy it. It has been a particularly chilly summer thus far, so I'm trying to get outside any time that I can. And that I did, yesterday. 

My roommate and I went to Grand River Coffee Company, an adorable little cafe tucked just off of Grand River (hence the name...ha) in East Lansing. I've been here many many times before, but I have never sat outside and let me tell you, it was pretty great. It was shady, but warm and breezy and the sidewalk nearby held a constant flutter of runners, people walking their dogs, or just going for walks and chatting. I was reading for one of my classes (the wrong book, I might add...ARGH!) and sipping on an iced hazelnut latte - which is a complete revelation. I'm in love with that drink! 

Iced hazelnut latte - so yummy

Anyway, it was one of those mornings where you can sit outside and really breathe in the air and remember why it is so awesome to live in Michigan. The cool fresh air filling your lungs is like your first breath all over again. The rays of sunshine fall upon the leaves, the flowers, and your skin like radiant beauty from the universe, fueling the earth back up with light and warmth. Listening to people talk about the goings on and this and that reminds you that the banality of the everyday is really what makes life so beautiful. 

Sometimes it simply takes being out of the same old environment to be able to really appreciate what is around you. Here's to hoping that you all (whomever you are) can experience this for yourselves. 

Light and love,

M

No comments:

Post a Comment